Nkem Anekwe, the elder sister of Oluchi Anekwe, a first-class student of the University of Lagos, who was on Tuesday electrocuted by a high-tension wire, says the negligence of the UNILAG Medical Center caused the death of her younger sister.
She also said the high-tension wire, which caused the death of Oluchi also fell on her younger sister, Uju Anekwe, but she survived the encounter.
This is just as the National Association of Nigerian Students, South-West zone, said it would sue the electricity distribution company for the death. Nkem said that Uju, a student of the College of Medicine, Idi Araba, was injured by the cable and was also hospitalised. She added that the young lady had been discharged and was recuperating at home.
Twenty-two-year-old Oluchi and her sister were returning from an evening Mass, when the high-tension wire fell on them at about 7pm.
On Thursday, Nkem, a lawyer, stated that both ladies were initially rushed alive to the medical centre, adding that Oluchi could have survived if she was promptly attended to.
“It was not only Oluchi that the wire fell on; it also injured Uju. I got to know about the incident at about 8pm. I quickly rushed to the university’s medical centre. When I got there, Uju told me that she and Oluchi had held each other’s hands as they walked to the hostel.Siblings
“The wire fell on Oluchi’s left arm, and the two of them were electrocuted. Oluchi lost consciousness immediately, while Uju managed to call out to passersby to help them.Both of them were rushed to the medical centre. The officials on duty requested their identity cards and said they would not do anything until the cards were brought. When I got to the centre, Oluchi was alive, as her eyes were open and her body was warm and normal, but only her left arm was stiff. I asked the medical personnel if any first-aid was given to her, but they did not reply me.”Oluchi’s father, Chief Basil Anekwe, said Oluchi’s death was a great loss to the family. He added that the university’s authorities should ensure that his daughter’s autopsy was done, and a death certificate issued promptly.
“On Sunday, when I saw Oluchi, she said I should send her some money for upkeep. On Tuesday, I was planning to send about N30,000 to her, when I learnt about the incident. I was initially told it was a mere accident.
“I am only glad that my daughter did not die returning from a party or an offensive place; she died returning from the presence of God. The university delegation this morning brought a letter to me from the VC.”